Saturday, October 07, 2006

How do I even try to put this into words?

When something big happens around here, the students have a great word that they use to sum it all up. Wow.
That's right. It's the same word we use, which is nice since it makes a person feel that much more fluent.
Our team has been on-campus for 2 weeks now and, honestly, it's difficult to comprehend the magnitude of all we've seen God do in that short amount of time. We've been out meeting students, getting into spiritual conversations and sharing about Jesus. And as a result of those conversations we've seen at least 30 students (and a couple of professors) receive Christ. Wow. Some of the experiences I've had have been absolutely unreal and have served as powerful reminders that it's not about me, or my team, or our ability to communicate the Gospel: it's about the hand of God at work in the lives of students and Him allowing us to be His ambassadors at this particular time and in this particular place. Here is one such experience: Sam and I were sharing on the Sciences campus and as we walked past a freshman math student, Patricia, she reached out and touched Sam's arm saying, "My friends told me about a conversation they had with you yesterday. I want to talk to you. I want to know more about God." Seriously. Does this sort of thing really happen?!? I'm trying to imagine what my friends serving in Croatia would do if this same thing happened to them...
Please pray for Patricia, Aries, and Paola --3 first year math students who all trusted Christ last week. Pray that they would continue to meet with us to do follow-up Bible studies and grow in their new relationship with God.
Daily I am reminded of the great honor I have in sharing the Gospel with students here in Merida. "We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making His appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God." (2 Corinthians 5:20).
Wow. (There's that word again). I love my job!



3 comments:

Taylor said...

I'll tell you what we'd do. We'd wet our pants in excitement! And then wonder if someone was playing a joke on us or if we were just dreaming.
Praise God that those dreams are real in Merida. I am so encouraged by you. I'm praying for your Bible studies with these new brothers and sisters who I will meet some day before the throne. Woohoo!

Shana said...

So proud of you. Thank you for serving in Merida.

Laura said...

Emily, its Laura in Alaska. I found your blog off of the gnwstiners one. I added your link to mine. Hope you don't mind. I don't have time at the moment but I can't wait to read some of your back entries. My blog is laurafalbey.blogspot.com God bless you!