Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The day we met Natacha

Let me tell you why I love my job.
Yesterday morning Amber and I were meeting students on the Humanities campus and felt drawn to a group of three girls. They were all on their way to class, so we didn't have time to do much more than invite them to our weekly Vida Estudiantil meeting. Not knowing anything beyond the fact that we were Christians and that we were talking to her, one girl, Natacha, grabbed my arm as she was leaving and said, "I have to go to class now, but I am really interested in these things. Do you think you can tell me about God another time? I've been meeting with Jehovah's Witnesses, but there's something about them that I don't like."
Seriously, I thought my eyeballs were going to pop right out of my head!
Amber and I got an opportunity to meet with her later that afternoon. And as we shared the Gospel with her we watched this quiet smile spread across her face as she began to understand. As I was explaining the 3rd of the 4 spiritual laws she stopped me and said, "But this is what I want to know: How can I receive Jesus?"
At the end of our conversation and after Natacha prayed to receive Christ she told us something else, "My life has been really difficult for the past several months. And last night I cried out to God and said, 'I can't do this on my own anymore. If You are there I need You to come into my life.' Somehow I don't think that meeting you two this morning was a coincidence."
We don't think so either, Natacha.

10 comments:

Taylor said...

Wow, Em. I'm all teary. All I can say is Thank you, Jesus.

Bryon and Sam Scharenberg said...

amen. vamos a echar bromas con ella en el cielo. Jesus va a decir.... "Natacha... q le dijo la mona al mono...?"

Emily said...

Bryon, there is NO WAY that joke will make it to heaven.

Brian said...

ha. you multi-lingual people thing your so smart and can have your little inside jokes. well i've got a litttle thing called 'babel fish' up my sleeve, and now i know that you said the following:

we are going to throw jokes with her in the sky. Jesus is going to say.... "Natacha... q said mona to him to the monkey

who's laughing now?

Emily said...

But if that joke does get to heaven, 2 things will be certain:
1. It will be funny
2. Brian will understand it

Laura said...

Wow, all I can say is praise the Lord for our new sister!

Taylor said...

My Mexican amigos are adamant that we are going to speak spanish in heaven as the common language... so maybe you should learn Spanish instead of using babel fish, Brian. :) Plus bable fish doesn't seem to be the most reliable translator. For Russian or Spanish.

Anastacia said...

wow, emily that is so amazing. i feel encouraged just having read that story. so glad i clicked on your name in chad & emily's blog - hey i heard jamie haydle(can't spell) is coming to Portland! Can't wait to hear stories about her time with you in venezuela. hey, would it be ok with you if i added a link to your blog on my blog?

Clau!!!! said...

Buenas noches!!!!!!
jajajajaj jefa, vos sabeis que me caeis rebien eres unn loquita de carretera!!!
paquiti!!

Matt Mikalatos said...

I know you are really busy, what with your task-master boss and all. But I want to hear more stories. What do you think?