Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Taking the next step

Doctors in Maracaibo were unable to give us any answers, so we made a tough decision to return to the US to continue pursuing a diagnosis and treatment for the weakness I've been experiencing in the past month. I arrived at my parents' house in Kansas on Monday after 20 hours of travel - a grueling day for me since I get tired from even the smallest of 'adventures' outside of the apartment. I was able to take all of Tuesday to rest and am feeling ready to see a doctor here in Wichita this afternoon.
I am blessed that my mom works at one of the hospitals here in town and has been able to take care of a lot of details with appointments and insurance for me. Calling her resourceful is an understatement and I think she will be my greatest asset for getting on the road to recovery and back to Merida as soon as possible.
It is surreal to be back home so suddenly and there are moments where I hardly know what to make of it. I'm at home, yet feeling so far away from home! I traded palm trees and ceaseless car alarms for a quiet, bleak winter landscape. Teammates and friends are now thousands of miles away and this morning I find myself wondering if I've just woken up from a very long dream. Phone calls and emails assure me that I haven't, but it's a bit mind-boggling nonetheless.
Right now I am scheduled to return to Venezuela on March 4th. We'd like to ask you to join us in praying for answers to this little medical mystery as well as a full recovery before March 4th. Thanks so much to all of you who have been joining us in prayer and for the encouraging emails you've sent!

7 comments:

Jesse said...

Emily,

I just wanted to let you know that I have been praying for you; for your physical, spiritual and mental health. It probably is weird being back here in the States, but enjoy Kansas!

Jamie said...

Emily, I continue to pray for you my sweet friend. I will give you a call soon. Love love love you.

J

Andy McCullough said...

Praying for ya, Emily

John said...

I'm praying too, but I just want to let you know how jealous I am that you are in the bustling metropolis of Wichita and I am not. When you get the chance, enjoy some Krispy Kreme, Sonic, Quick Trip, and wheat fields for me.

Matt said...

Praying for you emily- Matt Rieger from Sweden (you remember me don't you}

Emily said...

I believe, Matt, that your official title is Cool Matt, not Matt from Sweden. :)

Unknown said...

I'm praying for you, Emily. I know that the Lord is up to something...I pray that this will be a good time of rest, physical restoration as well as emotional and spiritual, and that you will experience His goodness during this time. May you find peace in Him when all else is unknown. Love you! -- your former roomie ;)