Friday, October 08, 2010

Eye of the Tiger, baby.

You haven't heard from me (if you have, you've been one of the lucky few) for a long time because I've been feeling like J-U-N-K. The first round of drugs never really did the trick past those first few clicks of the bicycle gears that I mentioned in an earlier post. So we moved to something with more firepower, but still had to wait, wait, w...a....i.......t........ for those to kick in. It's been 6 weeks now and we thought it would take at least 3 more days of drugs building up in the system before I felt anywhere close to this good. I'm okay with early.

At some undetermined point in the wee hours of the morning my eyelids popped open and my body said, "Okay, Emily, we are done sleeping now." (don't ask me why, but my body always talks about itself in the first person plural). And then it started.
Buh. buh-buh-buh. Risin' up, back on the street. Did my time took my chances. Went the distance now I'm back on my feet. Just a man and his will to survive. (Insert mumbled lyrics I can't remember here) It's the eye of the tiger, it's the thrill of the fight...

By the time I actually looked at a clock it was 5:15. I didn't get out of bed for a while mostly because I knew what would happen as soon as I hit the coffee pot: a raucous 3-dog rodeo of sheer breakfast joy. Eventually, though, even I got annoyed with Eye of the Tiger and the stupid lyrics that I couldn't remember, so I got up.

My step dad is always up at unseemly hours for work, so he looked a bit surprised to see me walk (not stumble) into the kitchen.
"What in the world are you doing up?"
"I am done sleeping. It's the Eye of the Tiger day."
"Okay."


Ba-da bing. That is my morning. I like it and I am grateful that it has arrived.

"Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you."-Ephesians 5:14b

Okay, hilarious sidenote that I cannot let slide: I looked-up the lyrics to Eye of the Tiger just to make sure I wasn't going to find out through mockery that I've had the words wrong all these years. Have you ever been to some of these lyric websites? One had "It's the eye of the tiger, it's the CREAM of the fight." How that made sense to anyone, I don't know...but it sure made me chuckle.

No comments: