Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Venezuela, Part 2. The Scenery Shots.

Getting off the plane in El Vigia. From there it was a 90 min bus ride to Merida.

Posada Guamanchi. I can't tell you how many months of my life I've lived here. It's a great place. Looks tiny from the front, but you'd be surprised. Pleasantly so.

Just an ordinary bus on an ordinary downtown afternoon.

When it comes to taxi cabs, anything goes. And all those people are waiting in line at one of the busier bus stops. (It's not a school bus if it's painted white).

Downtown sidewalk walking. I'm not sure how it is in other countries, but unlike the U.S. there's no sense of uniformity in sidewalk width, height, existence, or obstruction by open manholes or power poles. This is a normal looking section. Sometimes not dying while walking on them is a real art form. Pretty much the only reason why I'm still alive is because other people have pulled me back in from traffic. I'm not too proud to admit it.

The twilight view from one of the Posada balconies. I really do love this city.

I got to have these mountains out my windows for 2 whole years. It sure was nice to see them again. One morning the clouds were particularly dramatic. Who has two thumbs and appreciates teammates with sweet cameras and photography skills? This girl!

And this is what those same mountains look like without the dramatic cloud cover. Behind that tall peak, is actually the highest peak in all of Venezuela: Bolivar Peak (16,427ft).

Cathedral in downtown Merida.

One of the smaller towns up the valley from Merida.

Highland agriculture on our way up the pass to the hotter, flatter state of Barinas for our mid-project retreat.

Jesse and Bethany at Lake Mucubaji (Moo-koo-bah-HE) at the top of the pass. It was chilly up there! I think the Montanans on the team enjoyed a few minutes by an alpine lake. (and Jesse is the one who took these great photos).

High alpine stream. Introvert Emily made a mad dash for the rocks and a little re-charge time.

No comments: