Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
-1 Thessalonians 5:18

I read that last night and my heart sank as tears welled-up. They were good tears. Godly sorrow that brings repentance (2 Cor 7:10) sort of tears as I realized that here I am in this sickness complaining. But I've forgotten about giving thanks in ALL circumstances. Sometimes that word "all" can really sting, you know? But it's right there in God's word. And I did a little bit of research. It turns out that in the original Greek "all circumstances," really isn't that bad. It actually just means, "EVERYTHING."
I'm making a joke, but the tears indicate that I'm learning a serious lesson. Whether I see it or not, I am called to give thanks. I'd like to be the kind of person who gives sincere thanks. So while I may not see a whole lot to be thankful for in the crevasse of this sickness, I'm going to try giving thanks by faith a try.

No comments: