Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Playing footsie

The barefoot running experiment continues. Still liking it so far. Breaking in the new "shoes" is a slow process though.
I did not have the courage to tell Yong the nail technician about it during the pedicure. She kind of thinks I'm a little crazy already. "You so pretty. I don't know why you aren't dating." Meh. Whatever. And then I asked her for a French tip paint job on the toes and she looked at me a bit horrified, "Your bruises are going to show!" (I have some killer bruised toenails from trail running last month. I figure a battle scar is no good if you don't get a chance to show it).
At another point she said, "Make sure you take care of your nails. You runners, always running in too small shoes and coming in with deformed nails." "Oh, don't you worry, Yong. My shoes definitely will not be too tight."
As I continue to get my feet adjusted to this whole barefoot concept, there's a bit of toughening-up to do. And I today as I looked at my scuffed up soles, I laughed realizing that I should have been explaining barefoot running to my FEET during the pedicure. If I had, it would have gone something like this: "You see, Feet, right now you are covered in lotion and wrapped in hot towels. But pretty soon you little princesses will be looking hard core. Don't get used to this. You'll just have to take it on faith that whole verse about 'how beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news.'"

No comments: